It is true that you can cut through a tomato using an old blade or other types of knives. Nevertheless, if you want the best result without bruising, crushing, or damaging the fruit’s flesh, you will need the best tomato knives. Instead of only downwards motion, the serrated blade of a tomato knife allows slicing in a forward and back motion horizontally.
Besides, you can a tomato knife for other fruit preparation and small vegetables. A tomato knife can chop lemons, onions, plumps, and other fruits like these. It can also slice eggs very neatly if needed. Interestingly, it can also make a handy paring knife.
If you look for a tomato knife, you will find a lot of options available. However, the only way to ensure an optimal result is to buy the best tomato knives. Today we are going to review the best tomato knives along with a comprehensive buying guide.
Buying guide for tomato knife
Few qualifications can determine how good a tomato knife is. Actually, the best tomato knives come complete with all these qualifications, that’s why these qualifications are counted as a must for the best tomato knife. Therefore, you must make sure that the knife you are about to buy contains all these qualities.
The most important fact to consider is the material of the blade. Overall performance mostly depends on the blade quality. The blade construction cannot be flimsy, weak, or brittle.
There are blades made of high carbon steel. However, blades made of premium grade of high carbon stainless steel are the most preferred option.
High carbon stainless steel is anti-rust and anti-stain because of the chromium it contains. It holds the edge and sharpness for a long time. Nevertheless, it is a bit difficult to re-sharpen it.
Ceramic blades are thought of as a diamond. They are thinner than stainless steel, and cut through materials easily; preferable for slicing.
Titanium blades are very flexible, durable, and rugged. They are anti-rust, and anti-corrosion and offer better weight and protection compared to other materials.
For a very convenient, effective, and fast penetration of the tomato’s skin, the extremely sharp, short, and narrow serrated blades have always been the most picked option by customers.
Serrations may be scalloped, wavy, saw-toothed, or any combination of the three. It requires very little pressure to cut tough a tomato using a serrated blade. However, there are a lot of options available, if you want a straight blade.
If you want an easy, comfortable, and fatigue-free grip while using the knife, you have to be careful about the handle quality. Moreover, the safety of your hands depends on it.
The best option for a handle is an ergonomic design handle, which is non-slippery and made of quality material. This type of handle will not tire your hand. Besides, they are also suitable for both left and right-handed users.
Stainless Steel handles are good for a smooth surface. They won’t need rigorous maintenance. Nevertheless, they are not good to grip when wet.
Wooden Handles are classy and sleek but require constant cleaning and maintenance.
Wooden Handles with Plastic are great for grip and germs imperviousness, and require a little maintenance.
Molded Plastic handles have no susceptibility issue for forming debris or chopping. Sometimes they are dishwasher safe and require very little maintenance. These handles are slippery when wet, so textured plastic is good.
Ideal size matters a lot for efficiently using experience. You need a short to medium-length tomato knife. The ideal size for the best tomato knife is around 15 cm, which ends at a sharp point.
A sharp tip is a very useful tool for cleaner and precise cuts. When you have to decide between a forked and a pointy sharp tip, the forked should always get the priority. Using this you can lift or move the cut slices/wedges to wherever you want.
The sheath could be a very handy tool for traveling with a knife safely. It is also important to store a knife safely. Look for a matching safe.
In-Depth Tomato Knives Review
Mercer Culinary Renaissance Forged Tomato Knife
The Mercer Culinary Renaissance Forged Tomato Knife is a forged and smaller size, 5-inch, compact tomato knife with almost all the advanced features. It comes with a blade made of high-quality high-carbon German stainless steel that makes it super reliable for durability.
Besides, its ergonomically designed Delrin handle is a big advantage for safer and more convenient gripping while cutting tomatoes. Its limited lifetime warranty of NSF makes it remarkable.
- Knife dimensions are 13.38 x 1 x 4.13 inches
- It weighs 4 ounces
- Precision-forged high-carbon German stainless steel
- Comes with an ergonomically designed Delrin handle, which is triple-riveted
- It has a taper-ground 15-degree edge
- Comes with full tang throughout the entire handle
- Shortened bolster for easy resharpening
- Limited lifetime warranty of NSF
- 10 Best Nakiri Knife in 2021 (In-Depth Review & Buying Guide)
- Best Chef Knife Under $100 In 2021
- 8 Best BBQ Knives Of 2021 [In-Depth Review & Buying Guide]
- 7 Best Calphalon Knife Reviews [Get The Right One]
Pure Komachi 2 Series Tomato/Cheese Knife
If you are looking for a multi-point tip in an affordable smaller size, a 4-inch, knife, then the Pure Komachi 2 Series Tomato/Cheese Knife is one of the best options available for you in the market. It is mad made in Seki City, Japan.
The knife blade is made of high-carbon stainless steel for better stability and ultimate performance. The color used in this knife is a food-safe FDA-approved non-stick resin coating. There is no fatigue issue with its lightweight well-crafted handle.
- Knife dimensions are 8.8 x 0.8 x 1.5 inches
- The knife Weight is 2.4 ounces
- Comes with a multi-point tip
- The blade is made of high-carbon stainless
- Comes with an ergonomically contoured handle, which is very lightweight
- Food-safe FDA-approved resin used for color bonding
- Non-stick resin coating
Wusthof CLASSIC Tomato Knife, One Size
German-made knives have always been the top priority for most knife lovers. For the same reason, the Wusthof CLASSIC Tomato Knife has gained very popularity on short notice and has been dominating the tomato knife market for quite a time now.
Its tempered 58⁰ Rockwell hardness will allow you to cut through tomatoes more easily than ever before. The high carbon stainless steel made knife comes with a full bolster, finger guard, and easy gripping system.
- Knife dimensions are 12.7 x 2.8 x 1 inches
- The knife weight is 3.2 ounces
- It is precision-forged from a single blank high carbon stainless steel
- Its handle is full tang and triple riveted polyoxymethylene
- PEtec technology for superior edge retention and 20% more sharpness
- 58⁰ Rockwell hardness
- Come with a full bolster and finger guard
Rada Cutlery Tomato Slicing Knife
The specialty of the Rada MFG Rada Cutlery Tomato Slicer is its very comfortable and solid cast aluminum handle. It is a package of two tomato slicers at such an affordable price, which is a rarity nowadays.
The hollow-ground high carbon stainless steel blade offers optimal edge retention with superior sharpness for a long time. Put simply, with high-quality performance, it is totally worth your every penny.
- Knife dimensions are 12 x 3 x 1 inches
- This knife weighs 4 ounces
- It is a full package of 2 tomato slicers
- High carbon stainless steel made hollow-ground blades
- The blade is crafted with dual serrations
- Comes with a solid cast aluminum handle
- Fully handcrafted in the USA
Santoku Knife 7 Inch, VG10 Damascus Kitchen Steel
Who doesn’t know about the Japanese Okami Knives? Yes, this is an award-winning brand on the international stage. This 8-inch CHEF KNIFE has also topped the world list for the best value for money kitchen knives. Amazingly, in the Chef’s Knives category, it placed 2nd in Men’s Health 2017.
This world-class knife is made of 67 layers of Damascus steel, making it one of the strongest and most resistant knives in the world. Edge Guard, an award-winning designer designed this knife with an amazingly crafted wood handle.
- 12.68 x 0.94 x 1.69 inches
- Item Weight 7 ounces
- Comes with an 8-inch multi-functional blade
- The blade is made of VG10 core high carbon Japanese super steel
- The Damascus steel used contains 67 layers
- Comes with an amazingly crafted wood handle, which is Spain pakka
- A slightly curved blade offers French and Chinese cutting techniques
Global 3″ Serrated Tomato Knife
The global serrated tomato knife is an 8-inch long precisely crafted serrated tomato knife. If you are looking for a serrated knife, you can go for this one without a second thought.
The blade is made of Japanese steel, and the handle is also made of stainless steel. Another interesting feature of this knife is its demarcated transition of metal pearl between the handle and blade. It is like a blessing comfortable gripping and a safer cutting experience.
- Knife dimensions are 11.6 x 2.9 x 0.9 inches
- This knife weighs 4.8 ounces
- The bald is about 3 inches long
- Forged from a single piece of stainless steel
- Ice-tempered and super hard G18 CROMOVA Japanese stainless steel
- Comes with a hollow handle made of stainless steel
- Comes with a custom leather sheath
- Comes with a pilot figure
Rada Cutlery Tomato Slicing Knife
The Rada Cutlery Tomato Slicing Knife is a dual serrated knife made of T420 high carbon stainless steel. The surgical grade stainless steel ensures optimal results for cutting through any fruit skin, be it thick or thin.
The blade is 5 inches long, which is suitable for gently piercing and penetrating the skin of any large size tomato. Besides, it is a versatile knife for a hassle-free experience in doing other kitchen tasks as well.
- The knife dimensions are 12 x 2.12 x 0.5 inches
- This knife weighs only 1.58 ounces
- The blade is made of T420 high carbon stainless steel, which is of surgical grade
- The blade is 5-inch long
- The hollow ground blade ensures a precision concave surface
- It comes with dual serrations
- The handle is made of cast silver brushed aluminum
- The handle possesses a satin finish
Victorinox Swiss Classic Paring Knife with Serrated Edge
Tip Victorinox Swiss Classic Paring Knife is one of the most researched and lauded serrated round tip knives of VICTORINOX. However, this knife is best known as a Paring Knife among the customers. It is a perfect go-to tool for every user.
It is a white-color high-carbon stainless steel knife made for the ultimate comfort and most value of the money at a very affordable price point. It comes with a lifetime warranty.
- The package dimensions are 10 x 1.9 x 0.8 inches
- A very lightweight knife weighing 1.58 ounces
- The blade is made of high-quality stainless steel
- Comes with a serrated edge and pointed tip
- Ergonomic molded non-slip plastic handle
- Manufactured from Switzerland
- Comes with an amazing lifetime warranty
WÜSTHOF CLASSIC IKON Precision Forged High-Carbon StainlessSteel
This is precision forged German high carbon stainless steel made tomato knife. This full tang knife with a forked tip can cut through any firm food like a pro. The blade is designed with tempered 58⁰ Rockwell hardness to ensure the optimal result.
The ergonomically designed handle possesses a very attractive and stylish black sleek design. The knife is 20% sharper and holds better edge retention than regular materials made knives. Literally, a complete package for the money.
- Item dimensions are 7.5 x 0.5 x 0.5 inches
- Item weight is 2.82 ounces
- Forged and high carbon stainless steel serrated edge blade
- Possesses tempered 58⁰ Rockwell hardness
- The handle is ergonomically designed
- Sophisticated sleek design black handle
- It comes with a double bolster for superior balance
- PEtec technology used for 20% more sharpness and better edge retention
- It is backed by a limited lifetime warranty
Best Serrated Knife – Tomato Knife – Razor Thin Slices – Advanced
The Cestari Tomato Knife is indeed a groundbreaking product of Cestari. It is a 6-inches forged high-quality ceramic-built utility knife. It comes with a very sharp professional serrated blade that can cut tomatoes any tomato skin, be it big, thin or thick.
It can penetrate the skin of tomatoes and other fruits and vegetables without damaging the interior. The well-crafted blade ensures superior versatility, thus you can do your other kitchen tasks using this knife. Its safety sheath is another plus point to consider.
- Knife dimensions are 11.8 x 3.5 x 1.2 inches
- This knife weighs 0.634 ounces
- The blade is made from high-quality ceramic
- The blade is forged and professionally serrated
- Comes with a nonskid and ergonomically defined rubberized blade
- Comes with a custom-molded knife cover
- There is a safety sheath for better storage and portability
- It is backed by a remarkable lifetime guarantee
Why do I need a tomato knife?
Tomatoes’ flesh is delicate and the skin is very thin. Therefore, if you use a wrong or dull blade it will crush or damage the inner part of a tomato. Consequently, it will compromise the food’s texture, flavor, and eventually the aesthetics of the plate.
On the other hand, the serrated blades of tomato knives allow cutting through tomatoes effectively and quickly without any kind of damaging or mashing up their delicious flesh. No extra pressure is needed. Besides, forked tips for moving or lifting the slices after cutting.
The best tomato knives are versatile. You can use them for vegetables and other fruits, for slicing eggs neatly, for cheese and sausage cutting even as a handy paring knife.
How can I use a tomato knife?
Here are some tips for using a tomato knife efficiently:
- To remove the core of the tomato, use the pronged or pointed end of a knife
- It is essential to hold the knife at a 45-degree angle while cutting
- Don’t put pressure on the tomato
- Use forward and back motion horizontally to penetrate
- Use a gentle sawing motion while slicing the remaining flesh
If you want the optimal result while slicing tomatoes, you need the best tomato knife. You cannot deny the gravity of the best tomato knives for great salads and ensuring original flavor, and food texture with perfect tomato cuts.
With the serrated blade and strong handle, a comparatively smaller tomato knife offers a lot of advantages. It can make your kitchen time more efficient and convenient than before. In fact, there is no downside to buying the best tomato knife.
Knife sharpening is all about getting the blade of your knife in as perfect a shape as possible. There are two different methods, stropping and honing, both of which are used to get your kitchen...
Most of us don't have a clear understanding of the differences between a carving knife and a chef's knife. They both have their own purposes and uses. Here is a breakdown of when to use each type of...